Skip to content
0800 4081552
Exit site close

Financial abuse: advice

Financial abuse: spot the signs

Refuge has created a list of questions that might help you recognise whether you are experiencing financial abuse.

Does/did your partner:

  • Prevent you from working, or stop you from going to work, college or university?
  • Ask you to account for every penny you spend?
  • Check your receipts or bank statement so they can monitor how much you are spending?
  • Keep log-in details, bank cards or PINs for any joint accounts so you do not have access to it?
  • Insist on controlling all financial matters?
  • Place debts in your name?
  • Withhold child maintenance payments?

If any of these situations feel familiar, you may be experiencing financial abuse.


  • Contact Refuge to speak to someone about your options on 0800 408 1552
  • Account security – make sure only you know your PIN and passwords for financial accounts. If you think your partner may have access to these, you could consider changing them
  • Joint accounts – you do not have to agree to open a joint account. If you have a joint account already, then you can ask to freeze this, meaning neither you nor your partners can take money from the account. This action could increase your risk of harm, so taking expert advice from a domestic abuse specialist (such as Refuge) might help to ensure you can manage a problematic joint account safely
  • Know where your important financial documents are kept
  • Consider talking to a financial expert – free services such as Citizen’s Advice, or the Money Advice Service can help. Be sure to make them aware of your situation, so they are alert to any harm that may arise from any decisions made

Related posts

Support services

REFUGE: WARWICKSHIRE'S DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND ABUSE SERVICE . If you are experiencing domestic violence in Warwickshire, Refuge’s domestic violence and abuse service can support you and your children to keep safe. Refuge is a county-wide service that provides support to women, men and children experiencing domestic violence in Warwickshire.

Telephone: 0800 408 1552

© Talk2Someone. All rights reserved