Sexual abuse is commonly used by the perpetrators of domestic violence as a way to control and abuse their partners.
Any situation in which an individual is forced or coerced to participate in unwanted, unsafe or degrading sexual activity, or which takes place without the other person’s full and informed consent, is sexual abuse.
Sexual abuse includes:
- Forcing you to engage in sexual acts
- Degrading treatment
- Coercing, guilting or manipulating you into engaging in sexual activity or sending explicit photos
- Withholding your access to contraception
- Sexual name-calling
- Forcing you to prostitute yourself
- Making you wear clothes you haven’t chosen
- Forcing you to look at or appear in pornography against your will
- Forcing you to have sexual relations with other people
- Touching you sexually without your permission
- Engaging in sexual acts with someone who is asleep, unconscious or too drunk/intoxicated to give consent